Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++

From: Taj Morton
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 04:59:31 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Frysinger <vapier <at> gentoo.org> writes:
> On Monday 09 October 2006 18:30, Taj Morton wrote:
> > Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:
> > > Generatlly, you should not link against libraries using two different,
> > > incompatible libstdc++ at the same time.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a bad idea. I'm not talking about /running/ libraries that link
> > against both libstdc++, just compiling them. When they are run, they will
> > only have one libstdc++ linked in.
>
> incorrect ... gcc-3.3 has libstdc++.so.5 while gcc-3.4+ has libstdc++.so.6
Hmm? Yes, I know.

> that means if you have bleeding of build environments, it is entirely
> possible
> to have a library linked against both libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6 which
> is what i said in my previous e-mail
Sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. Here's the deal:
Binaries are compiled with both 3.3 AND 3.4. Both are packaged up. Only the
binary that links against the target systems libstd++ is installed. So if you
have a Linux install that uses libstdc++.so.5, then the binary compiled with
gcc-3.3 is installed. If you have a newer machine that uses libstdc++.so.6, then
the binary compiled with gcc-3.4 is installed.

I'm trying to *not* build libraries that link to both libstdc++s.
Cheers,
Taj