Re: Making shared libraries (DLLs) on Windows: -no-undefined

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: Making shared libraries (DLLs) on Windows: -no-undefined
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:37:42 +0000 (UTC)

[A somewhat belated reply, but I only just noticed this thread...]

On 2007-05-01, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Generally I think you should be able to just use it everywhere.  The
> Libtool testsuite uses it throughout and I cannot remember a test
> failure due to it.  I'm however not sure whether there was an issue with
> C++ code some time ago (so this data point may be FUD; sorry for not
> investigating now).

I encountered problems on Mac OS X with C++ code.  I don't have access
to OS X to check, but this is what I have in configure.ac from working
on this before:

    dnl -no-undefined causes problems on Mac OS X with at least some
    dnl MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET settings, so only pass -no-undefined on
    dnl platforms where it is required in order to link a shared library at
    dnl all (Windows is the main one).
    NO_UNDEFINED=
    if test unsupported = "$allow_undefined_flag" ; then
      NO_UNDEFINED=-no-undefined
    fi
    AC_SUBST(NO_UNDEFINED)

This approach seems to work everywhere I've tried it, though it would
be nicer if -no-undefined just worked on OS X too in this situation.

Cheers,
    Olly