Re: libtool optimization

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool optimization
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:34:15 +0200

Hello,

* Michel Briand wrote on Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:20:14AM CEST:

> You don't see my point. In autogen I want to have a way to select a
> different shell (for configure & libtool).

That is not possible with current Autoconf and Libtool.  Sorry.
You can only choose that at configure run time, not at autoconf
run time.  But that makes sense: configure run time is the earliest
time when the system in question is nailed down.  And it is system-
dependent which shell is appropriate to use.

(As we cannot know whether your 'autogen' script runs configure
or not, we cannot know whether that is a problem for you or not.)

> I'm not saying that I'll
> choose a shell that fails to run the tools or that I'll not ask the
> user for the best shell available...

> Furthermore you seems to indicate that Dash would not run configure ?

There should be no problem with dash.

> Should autoconf find the correct sed program for example (@SED@), it
> could also find the best shell available, isn't it ?

But it does.  Not autoconf; but configure does try to find a decent
shell unless you set CONFIG_SHELL when invoking configure.

> >Regardless, libtool 2.2 and latter has been shown to have minimal
> >impact on build times.
>
> Noted.

IIUC then that means you haven't tried it yet, right?

Please try 2.2.6 before complaining further about its execution time;
we do not have the resources to support non-fatal bugs in old versions
of Libtool; and slower execution time is a non-fatal bug.