Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libt

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libtool shared libs problem
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:30:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

I know what the difference is.  My point is that adding an explicit
dependency on a shared library whose ABI you do not use directly simply
doesn't scale when maintaining a distribution the size of Debian.  You
have to rely on the dynamic linker to resolve transitive dependencies.  I
mention the dynamic linker because one of the reasons why libtool has this
feature is for platforms where the dynamic linker *cannot* resolve
transitive dependencies and needs the binary to be linked against all
shared libraries, including ones only used indirectly.

How would you like to deal with the case where a library has multiple usable dependencies, which satisify identical purposes, but via different possible libraries?

                         libfoo-ssl_fast.so
  myprog --> somelib -->     or
                         libfoo-ssl_slow.so

Note that in this case myprog depends on somelib and so that is an explicit dependency. However somelib needs some symbols from a library that the user selects at link time.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn