Re: new libtool version makes troble

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: new libtool version makes troble
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:57:17 +0100

Hello Joakim,

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 03:23:39PM CET:

> We just upgraded libtool from 1.5.26 to 2.2.6 and our build
> broke. Our host requires 2.2.6 so keeping the old appears difficult.
>
> Even though we only run autoreconf manually in our project, the new libtool
> slipped into the project and the build broke.
> I can fix this by rerunning autoreconf -i -f in the current trunk but
> I cannot do that in already released SW.
> I had the impression that the libtool files installed by libtoolize -f
> should contain everything needed by libtool, that is, there would not be
> any dependencies of the host libtool.

That is normally the case.

Note that with Libtool 2.2.x, you can also use the following strategy:
add AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) to configure.ac, add
  ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
to Makefile.am, and run 'libtoolize -f --install' to have the Libtool
macro files be copied into your tree.  That way, aclocal.m4 will refer
to them (rather than carry around a copy of their contents).

> How can I prevent the new host libtool from slipping into
> the project?

I'm afraid I can't tell you with the information that you have given.
Please show, not describe, how the host Libtool gets into your project;
i.e., cut and paste the commands you enter and their output that shows
something goes wrong.  If your project is open source, don't refrain to
link to a tarball or repository.

> I would like to be able to run autoreconf even after upgrading the
> host libtool too, if possible.

Ah, if all you're after is to prevent autoreconf from running
libtoolize, then try
  LIBTOOLIZE=true autoreconf

Another issue may be that aclocal fails to find the in-tree libtool
macros, but finds some installed ones.  That can typically be found out
by passing --verbose to aclocal (passing --verbose to autoreconf will do
that).

Hope that helps.