Re: why relink on successive "make install"?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: why relink on successive "make install"?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:52:39 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Tom Vaughan wrote:

I have a pretty vanilla shared library on the latest Ubuntu Karmic
Koala that is built with autoconf, automake, and libtool. I've noticed
that if I "make install" I always see "libtool: install: warning:
relinking `librestest.la'" even when I know nothing has changed. Why?

One purpose for re-linking is to make sure that the installed library depends on installed libraries of the correct version rather than some library in a build tree, or an older version of an installed library. Another purpose can be to formally register the library with the system so that it will be used.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn