Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64

From: JonY
Subject: Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:29:31 +0800

On 1/30/2010 22:56, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

If any of the Libtool users come and complain about libtool not linking
against their old (or new) libraries after we've made the change, I want
to be able to point to your documentation site and tell them "we had no
choice, upstream had a flag day, tough luck for your proprietary
software and you expecting us to remain compatible".

I see, I will get a wiki entry to explain the change.

Since all these DLLs all run on Windows, we can't
expect users to constantly fiddle with PATH to load the correct DLL, or
copy DLLs to every directory where their executables live.

That's a non-argument.  If I understood the rest of the thread
correctly, then 64bit Windows will have no problem anyway as it skips
32bit libraries.  So all you ever need to do is have one entry in the
PATH for 64bit stuff and one for 32bit stuff.  I'd even consider
installing 64bit packages in a separate --prefix from 32bit ones to be
good packaging practice, but that may just be me.

I misunderstood one of the users who was testing an XP 64bit, it seems
that it does not skip incompatible DLLs like Vista or 7. After some
confirmation, its clear that XP64 does skip properly, so maybe having
the same prefix for 64bit/32bit mingw-w64 DLLs would work.

The --prefix thing may not work for installing multilib GCC though. GCC could be changed to install DLLs into lib{32,64} so it doesn't get clobbered on install. This fixup can come later.