Re: Problem creating shared libraries (DLL's) on OS/2

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problem creating shared libraries (DLL's) on OS/2
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:43:13 +0100

Hi Paul,

please keep the list in Cc:, thanks.

* Paul Smedley wrote on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:16:50AM CET:
> On 28/01/10 16:04, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>>> Our ld.exe is based on a very old version of GNU ld - and as such,
>>> doesn't seem to correctly create reloadable object files.
>>
>> Which version?
>Not sure to be honest - but the copyright notice in ld.c at
>http://svn.netlabs.org/libc/browser/branches/libc-0.6/src/emx/src/ld
>states 'Copyright (C) 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.; so it's old
>:)
>
>Unfortunately whilst I have the rest of binutils working OK, I don't
>have a working ld from the latest GNU binutils.

> >>Is there a way to tell libtool to NOT create reloadable object
> >>files, and simple add all the individual object files to the
> >>compiler linking command?
> >
> >Hmm, it should only do so when the command line exceeds the expected
> >maximum length on your system.  Can you post the --mode=link command
> >that fails, plus all of its output, as well as the output of
> >   ./libtool --config
> >
> >please?  Thanks.
> Well from reading the docs, I figured this shouldn't be used as
> well, but haven't been able to decipher why it is occuring.
>
> http://smedley.info/build.log should the output from trying to build
> vlccore.dll
>
> http://smedley.info/libtool.config has the output of libtool --config

Thanks.  The resulting command line is a over half of the noted maximum
detected on your system.  Since the detection adds a safety margin, for
this package you can probably get away simply by editing the generated
libtool script after running configure and increasing max_cmd_len a bit,
say doubling it.

Does that ld support @-files (a command line argument of @FILE should
cause it to read additional arguments from FILE) or --whole-archive?
We'd need some way that is less buggy to shove more objects into a
shared library, in order to deploy a better workaround in libtool.  Or,
preferably, somebody should fix your ld to support -r, or get the newer
ld to work ...