Libtool 2.4 and APR (was: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable], yet might n

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Libtool 2.4 and APR (was: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable], yet might not be an immediate) drop in replacement for version 2.2.10
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:23:21 +0200

Hello Kyle,

please don't top-post, thanks.

* Kyle Sallee wrote on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 03:52:28PM CEST:
> Also I noticed that httpd version 2.2.16
> failed compilation with libtool version 2.4 installed
> Compile log looks like:
>
> found apr source: srclib/apr
> found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
> rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: python version 2.6.6 (ok)
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.68 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 2.4 (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> /libtool.m4 not found
> ./buildconf failed for apr
>
> Merely re-installing libtool version 2.2.10
> enabled compilation of httpd.

Thanks for the report.  This is not enough information for me to
analyze the issue, however.

> This problem was repeatable on both IA32 i686 linux + glibc
> and x86_64 linux + glibc.
> That is why I am providing only the limited information above,
> because someone who is eager and able to debug this
> should be able to easily replicate the error.

I am sorry, but I *really* don't have the time to go find the
installation and building instructions of all kinds of third-party
packages using Libtool (not even important ones such as APR) each
time someone posts a vague bug report.  Just finding out what you did
would probably cost me an hour or so, multiply that by the several such
requests each week.

If you want help, then you need to provide us with simple instructions
on how to build the software and reproduce the issue you are seeing.
That's the difference between me going to ignore the bug report right
away, or maybe trying to look into it.

Thanks,