Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 21:18:42 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

2. Enabling this option is not enough as you must also painstakingly add
  -no-undefined to all LDFLAGS. Why does libtool need to force you to do
  it instead of just using it unconditionally for all MSW DLLs knowing
  that they can *never* have any undefined symbols? While using this
  option is a good idea for the other platforms too anyhow, there just
  doesn't seem to be any reason to not use it implicitly for MSW, is
  there?

This is an indication that appropriate steps have been taken to apply all needed dependencies at link time. This is often not the case. Systems like GNU/Linux support implicit dependencies and so sometimes an effort is made to not include dependencies, or they may be missed by accident.

4. After all the previous steps I could finally cajole libtool into
  building the DLLs for my lib_LTLIBRARIES but it still silently builds
  static libraries for all my noinst_LTLIBRARIES and I have no idea why.

These are likely "convenience" libraries which are not used as normal archive libraries at link time. Instead all of the objects are extracted and applied at link time. The archive library is used as a container rather than a normal archive library.

The most aggravating thing is that libtool really seems to go out of its
way to make MSW DLLs creation more difficult than it needs to be with all
the tests for things that can never happen. I realize that DLLs are very
different from the typical Unix shared libraries which are libtool's bread
and butter, but surely they're important enough in practice to have some
special handling for them?

There is special handling. You already reported the -no-undefined special handling. :-)

If libtool has a goal of providing decent support for MSW DLLs, I could
try submitting patches changing the things above to work in a more
user-friendly way, but I'd really like to know if they would be welcome
first or if, perhaps, the way things [don't] work now is a subtle hint that
libtool just shouldn't be used if first-tier MSW support is required.

It is important that change for Windows do not break the many other supported platforms. Your changes are welcome if they assure this and improve reliability and usability.

There is a long-standing principle in the history of libtool that it should provide consistent functionality across platforms and not do things which encourage usages in one dominant platform which do not work on the others.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn