Re: Nostalgia

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Re: Nostalgia
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 09:28:21 +0100

Hi everybody,

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>  - Maybe fix Jazz chords (there's been a lot of complaints, but
>    basically no code to do this. Perhaps not.)

In the 1.3.x stages of Lilypond, I developed a working jazz chord algorithm
that:

a) took everything that is halfway common practice into account
b) was relatively easily tweakable if one has another idea of "common
   practice"
c) was relatively long and clumsy, sadly, because of my lack of knowledge
   about Scheme.
d) was outdated the day I got it finished, because the interface changed.

The thing got lost & forgotten. To get some work done, I subsequently
accepted broken jazz chords as God-given, and began adding happily to my
exception list, which is now a couple pages long.

I could dig out the old code and resend it, maybe you can do something with
it (take the algo, change the details, or beautify). Sadly, I cannot do it
due to lack of time.

Sorry for responding so late.

All the best,

Amy.