(no subject)

From: Deborah Lowrey
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:39:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lilypond,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>The latest from whom, did you download from Cygwin?
Haven't tested
>>that lately; and they're hacking quite ruthlessly on
setup.exe...

I downloaded from the development side of
Lilypond.org.

> I keep getting errors that the download was
incomplete. Tried on
> both the ftp and http locations, same error.

>>Does it say what files are incomplete?  Maybe
/var/log/setup.log* can
>>tell you something more.  Maybe it helps if you
remove all setup's
>>http*%* and ftp*%* download cache directories.

No specific error messages were given on what files
were incomplete via the window error, but the first
six times I was trying to download (first 3 times from
ftp, second 3 times from http addresses) the files
guile-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2, guile-devel-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2,
guile-doc-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2 and
libguile14-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2 file. Another 2 times I was
only trying to download only the
libguile14-1.5.6-5.tar.gz2, once from each location
(1st ftp, 2nd from http location).

When I looked at the setup.log, a strange thing...
each time I tried to download the files I got the same
error of wrong size in the setup.log and the file
sizes for each respective file, were the same each
time. (I.E. Wrong size message for
guile-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2 was 112720 actual VS 112566
expected.) All six times the # of actual and expected
were the same for that file. And I got a wrong size
error for all the files: guile-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2,
guile-devel-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2,
guile-doc-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2, and
libguile14-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2.

In between downloading each time, I cold booted
(making sure it was not a Windows problem first or a
connection problem) and reconnected (have dial-up
connection) along with trying to download from
different location (either ftp or http).

> Finally was able to download without getting that
error. And when
> running ly2dvi got the error that the
cygguile-14.dll was missing. I
> knew what file to download and ran setup.exe again.
At the end of
> the download I got the same error as above and when
I selected OK,
> got the error "Can't open (null) for reading: No
Such File".  Help.
> :-)

>>If all you need is cygguile-14.dll, you can always
try downloading and
>>installing by hand, eg:

>>    wget -P /tmp
>>http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/libguile14/libguile14-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2
>>    cd /
>>    tar xjf /tmp/libguile14-1.5.6-5.tar.bz2

Not sure if its because I have Windows, but I'm not
able to use the command 'wget', I get a Bash 'command
not found' error in lilypond/cygwin. But I was able to
work it out and get the libguile installed and have
run ly2dvi successfully.

>>I'm sorry I can't help you any better on this, I
don't have clue what
>>this error could be; other than network problems,
caching problems or
>>setup.exe incompatibility.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

>>The good news is (hopefully it's good news), that
I'm almost done
>>packaging a new version of tetex, that should go
into the Cygwin
>>distribution.  I hoped to have an experimental
version ready yesterday
>>(along with a new lilypond, of course) but I need
just a little bit
>>more time to try and make users not run into
troubles with the
>>upgrade.  In the meantime, all updates for the
Windows distribution
>>are stalled.

>>Jan.

If there's anything I can do to help I would be glad
to. I understand how Windows can put an unusual twist
on things and be user-hateful :-). But unfortunately
it is used by the masses (but I'm working on getting a
system set up with Linux which would only relieve my
problem) and Windows is a necessary evil at the moment
for most.

Hopefully this information helps.

Deborah