Re: cotrol of broken ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: cotrol of broken ties
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 01:20:37 +0200 (CEST)

> > In the normal case, the properties from non-broken are simply
> > copied to before-break and after-break.
>
> Except that spanners can be broken in many pieces (more than 2). For
> example the staff-symbol. Or a very long phrasing slur. I think that
> it is wiser to wait for real problems (of which yours is one) to
> accumulate so we can see what the best solution is.

In that case I suggest a list like

  before-break
  broken-1
  broken-2
  broken-n

Since this is an optical correction, LilyPond need not care to handle
offsets automatically (well, perhaps vertical shifts for broken ties
with accidentals make sense).  The only important thing is that the
user can reliably recognize which part of the broken spanner he has to
modify.  Again there are LaTeX equivalents: The modification of
various parameters to make pages and paragraphs one line longer or
shorter: \enlargethispage (which expands to \insert) and \looseness.

> > I think modifying the callback isn't the right solution since you
> > can't pass parameters, right?
>
> Erm. What do you mean with "modifying the callback"?

Sorry, I meant `Replacing the original callback function with
something different'.

    Werner