extending ly2dvi

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: extending ly2dvi
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:40:24 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> what do you think about extending ly2dvi by an option
>
>   --pre <preprocessor>
>
> which calls the named preprocessor on the input before doing anything
> else?
>
> An alternative and/or additional option would be to allow a special
> keyword `preprocessor' in the \header block:
>
>   \header {
>     preprocessor = m4
>   }
>
> The latter method appears to be quite elegant IMHO.

The \header field would do unintuitive things when combined with
\include.  I think that having --preprocessor is feeping creaturitis,
and I don't really see the point.

> I'm not sure whether this is a security issue, but similar features
> exist for TeX.

Security?

\score { \notes { c4^#(system "rm -rf /")  } }

(much easier than with TeX. :-)

> PS: m4 seems to be suited well for preprocessing LilyPond input; at
>     least I've used it successfully.

I tried a long time ago, and got barking mad from the strange quoting
rules. Anyways, IMNSHO, Macro Languages Suck (tm).