Properties

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Properties
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:40:56 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Please post full example if you have some smart way of typesetting <a //
a > WITHOUT merging the noteheads.

Yes. Simply add some code to note-collision.cc.

Yes, ofcourse on ecould add a property, merge-noteheads, controlling whehter or not to merge the noteheads at all. This, however, would sum up to a total of three properties just to control a minor thing like notehead merging - 'merge-noteheads, 'merge-differently-headed and 'merge-differently-dotted. I would consider this an overkill. Generally I see three options of how to control a bunch of related settings that control the same thing (i.e. in this case: whether the noteheads should be merged).

a) add a lot of properties

b) add one list-type property containing symbols corresponding to the properties of a)

c) add one function-type property taking some argument and returning a value (in this case: taking two noteheads as argument and returning whether they should be merged)

It is not clear to me what is prefered by the main developers. Though I see that in earlier versions - before scm - a) was the only option. Today iiuc b) or c) should be prefered and hence I don't like adding a third option for controlling the notehead-visibility. Though I am very unsure whether the developers prefer b og c. - I see no consistensy between different properties.

Are there any comments on this?

-Rune