Re: Feature request: dashed bar lines

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Feature request: dashed bar lines
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:03:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:

> Contemporary music uses also bar lines which are dashed. Arvo Pärt, an
> Estonian composer, for example, has written music, in which the length of a
> bar can be very long and, instead, dashed bar lines structure the music.
>
> Therefore, there should be a new type of bar lines, which is dashed.

Agreed, I also thought already about this.

> It could be used with just `\bar "some symbol"'.

I am not sure if this is the right approach.  Dashed bar lines that I
have seen in scores of Arvo Paert, Leonard Bernstein and others are mostly
used in the context of multi-time-signatures (e.g. something like
(4+3)/4), and the dashed line just indicates were a bar is subdivided.
Maybe, we should provide dashed bar lines (only?) in cunjunction with
multi-time-signatures?

Greetings,
Juergen