Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 2.0.1

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 2.0.1
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:16:48 +0200

A side-note related to the Debian package:

I don't have any Debian installation available but looked briefly
at the contents of the package and the installation scripts when
answering a question earlier today.

I'm confused about the installation of the PFA files and lilypond.map.
In contrast to most other LilyPond packages, Anthony Fok has chosen to
include the TeX input files and font files in the ordinary teTeX texmf
tree, using soft links
./usr/share/texmf/tex/lilypond -> ../../lilypond/2.0.1/tex
./usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/lilypond -> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/source ./usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/public/lilypond -> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/afm ./usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/lilypond -> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/tfm

but as far as I can see, the corresponding links for the Type1 font
files (PFA files) and for the lilypond.map file are missing.

Since the dpkg does not include the lilypond-profile/lilypond-login
files, the /usr/share/lilypond/x.x.x/ directory is not seen by teTeX
as an additional texmf tree, which should mean that dvips cannot find
the PFA files or lilypond.map.
The ly2dvi script (now renamed to lilypond) does work anyway, since it
sets the TEXMF variable internally such that dvips finds the files in
the /usr/share/lilypond/*/ directory structure, but I cannot see how
this works if you call 'dvips -Ppdf -u +lilypond.map myscore.dvi'
manually, for example if you have used lilypond-book + latex to produce
your document.

There's a short note on the placement on lilypond.map in
debian/changelog, but I don't see how the current solution can work.

Maybe this is a non-issue, but could you please verify if
dvips -Ppdf -u +lilypond.map myscore.dvi
works correctly with the Debian installation.

Regards

   Mats