[Feature request] Scalability

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: [Feature request] Scalability
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:00:36 +0100

[I'm having some trouble sending mail. I hope this gets through.]

Hi,

Here's a feature request for the future:
I know from some earlier discussions that it is _possible_ to create other
sizes than the standard 11,13,16,20,23,26 ones, by using weird papersizes and
psresize. If I understood it correctly, it is in theory possible to create
just about any size as ps output, by fiddling with numbers, defining new
kinds of paper and recalculate margins and stuff. To me this feels like a
pain, that should be avoidable...

How hard/tedious/dirty would it be to add a feature that makes _any_
real-valued font size possible, given that .ps output is used?

I.e., the interface would be a simple one-command thing like "\musicsize 11.4"
or something, instead of the current "\include paper11.ly". I must admit that
I don't know much about Lilypond's internal structures, but it somehow feels
that it could be settable inside e.g. a \paper block.

I guess this would need some dirty hacking/restructuring, since some global
properties need to be remembered until the dvi->ps conversion, and also I
guess the generated .dvi files would be broken whenever this new command
would be used. But it would nevertheless be a great feature. It's one of the
few features that Lilypond lacks, and that there is plenty of commercial
notation software that doesn't lack. Too often it happens for me that e.g.
paper20 generates too many pages, while paper16 gets a bit too small.

Also, it would make it possible to use grace notes in paper11. Which people
frequently complain about on the lilypond-user list.

Any comments? Would it be doable?
thanks,
erik