Re: Lilypond 2.0.1 built ok for FreeBSD 4.0 w/gcc 2.95.2

From: R. D. Davis
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.0.1 built ok for FreeBSD 4.0 w/gcc 2.95.2
Date: 19 Nov 2003 22:59:56 -0500
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:59:56 -0500

Hi, thanks for the reply and info. about gcc 3.3.  However, installing
from ports doesn't seem to work.  Usually installing gcc isn't much of
a problem (well, on other systems it wasn't), but this time, I ran
into a problem compiling it.

What I'm going to try is deleting gcc3.3.2, download 3.3.3, then install
the patches manually, and then try to build it... hopefully those patches
will work for BSD 4.0.  What do you think?  Of course, my preference is
to remain with gcc 2.95.2, since I've always gotten everything else
to compile with this until now.

Quothe Patrick Atamaniuk, from writings of Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at
12:38:12AM +0100:
> You may install a gcc 3.3 concurrently on FreeBSD using the ports
> collection. It will install into /usr/local/bin/gcc33, so there
> is no conflict with gcc 2.95.2 as both name and path are different.

Actually, I'm going to have to install it on partition other than
/usr, due to space limitations, so installing from ports may not be a
good idea for me anyway.  It's always been my preference to intall
software from sources rather than ports or packages when possible,
since I get a better feel for the software and know what's what and
what's where... but then, perhaps that's just what I got used to
before ports and packages existed in the land of UNIX. :-)

> I hacked together some automated installation for exactly this purpose,
> available via the lilypond downloads page, look for FreeBSD there.

Ok, thanks; I'll take another look at it.

> If you have any questions about that ports or FreeBSD specifics, feel
> free to mail me directly.

Thanks.

> Regarding the manpage, i experience no problems on FreeBSD 4.8, 4.9 5.0
> and 5.1 using perl 5.6.1 (5.1) or 5.005_03 (4.9) respectively.
> I do use python2.3 though.

After hacking the makefile a bit, I was able to install Lilypond
versions 1.8 and earlier, and they worked ok.  No problems with
kpathsea either once I set the include and library paths for
configure, and midi output worked great.

> The autotrace problem may arise due missing dependencies. These would be

I don't think that I had autotrace installed, so, that's probably
one thing that was causing a problem.  As soon as I get ImageMagick
working (or reload the old version from the BSD 4.0 CD-ROM), I'll
install that (v0.31.1).

> graphics/ImageMagick
> graphics/hdf
> graphics/jbigkit
> graphics/jpeg
> graphics/libwmf
> graphics/ming
> graphics/png
> graphics/pstoedit
> graphics/tiff
> print/freetype2
> x11/XFree86-4-libraries
>  at least. A usable autotrace version currently is 0.31.1.

Ah, perhaps a dependency was the problem, although I didn't notice any
errors indicating such.  With the exception of ImageMagick, I now have
all of those programs installed.  Well, I did have an old version of
ImageMagick installed, but I decided to try installing the latest
version.  Alas, the configure script for ImageMagick is doing
something strange, which I'm looking into: despite pointing it to
/usr/local/lib, /usr/local/install and /usr/local/install/libpng, it's
telling me that it fails checks for jpeg, jpeg-2000, FlashPIX, PNG,
FreeType2.0 and TIFF.  At one point it recognized jpeg and png, but I
can't recall what I did to get it to recognize them before.

Has anyone else run into this problem with ImageMagick?

> Can you send me your configuration, maybe i can reproduce the issue in
> order to improve my installation scripts?
> python version, perl version and output of "uname -a" would be a start.

gcc: 2.95.2
python: v2.3
perl: v5.6.1
uname returns: FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #13
TeX: 3.14159, kpathsea: 3.2
dvips(k): 5.86, kpathsea v3.3.1

Ok, now there's a curiosity: two different version of kpathsea... I'll
have to investigate.

> On the other hand i am looking for testers for my lilypond ports
> (both 2.0.1 and 2.1.0). If you have time to try one of them, i
> would be very happy for any feedback.

Ok, if time allows (or definitely if I can't get anything else to work
:-), I'll try the most recent stable version of the port, but will
need to apply the patches manually by running patch on the necessary
files.

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &