Re: Lilypond 2.0.1 built ok for FreeBSD 4.0 w/gcc 2.95.2

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.0.1 built ok for FreeBSD 4.0 w/gcc 2.95.2
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:07:40 +0100

"R. D. Davis" <address@hidden> writes:

> A few comments about the 2.0.1 release, which I just built
> successfully for FreeBSD 4.0 with gcc/g++ 2.95.2 (yep, no need to
> upgrade to 3.x); I just hacked the config script to ignore checking
> the version, since this was the same for Lilypond 1.8, and that was
> working ok.

We decided to bump the requirement to 3.x, as we have seen a number of
`unexplained' core dumps (no stack) on Red Hat, all with a version of
gcc 2.95, so you may want to look out for that.  Please switch to 3.x
as soon as it is available.

> There was also a problem with still checking for a new version of
> echo.  Fixed that as well by commenting out the version checking.

That's a check for something else that goes astray.  All versions of
echo are ok :-)

> While building, I received a message from help2man that it could not
> create the midi2ly.1 file.  Upon running this command manually, the
> same error message was received, however, a midi2ly.1 file, zero bytes
> in length, was created.  Afterwards, running make all was a success,
> except there's no useable midi2ly.1 file yet.

Help2man runs midi2ly --help.  Midi2ly uses the compiled module
python/out/midi.so.  PYTHONPATH, set by make, helps find that modul.
You'll have to see what goes wrong there.

> There were lots of errors about autotrace exiting with a value of
> 32512, which get ignored, as well as warnings from pfaedit not being
> able to do somethign with tiff files... but I'm guessing that was ok.

Hmm, that's not good.  You can download the fonts for released
versions, see INSTALL

Jan.