Re: Feta font

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Feta font
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:44:44 +0100

"Joel A. Erickson" <address@hidden> writes:

> The idea is to create a simple web-based notation editing/proofing IDE for
> collaborative proofing work.

Simple and notation-proofing in one sentence.  Good luck ;-)

> Each program has its strengths. Lilypond, from my brief examination, seems
> to excel at creating beautifully engraved sheet music.

Well, that's only half of it.  We want *automatic* engraving for
*everyone*, ie, create acceptable notation without the need of hiring
an engraving expert, implemented in free software.

> Scorch is a browser
> plugin (provided by Sibelius) excelling at enabling users to interactively
> listen to and print sheet music. And Flash MX is the authoring environment
> made by Macromedia for creating content for the Flash Player, which is able
> to be viewed by 97% of web-connected users.

You are planning to base this collaborative effort on proprietary
software?

> Well, a MusicXML file could be provided to PG, and that could be converted
> to Lilypond for Mutopia.

Yes, and if people truely want to cooperate, it should be done the
other way around too.

> Engraving music is a very important facet of music, but only one facet.

But this happens to the facet that this list is all about, and one of
the facets that has the poorest software support yet, afaics.

> MusicXML seems the best option for enabling programs to use the notation for
> whatever they want.

Possibly, if exchanging notation between programs is more important
than actually printing it in an acceptable way.  All is a matter of
priorities, but this is getting off topic.

Jan.