control of lyrical spacing from staff

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: control of lyrical spacing from staff
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:17:34 -0700

  I have a score with a piano and 2 voice staves. The lyrics for the first
voice seem closer to the dynamics of the second voice than they do to the
notes of the first voice (which doesn't go below middle c if I remember
right). Even if it isn't quite right to do so, I wanted to move the lyrics
closer to the staff since I think it could make it look better and it should
be easy to get that last staffline off of page 3 when printing individual
singer parts. Should I really just squeeze horizontal spacing instead to make
it work out?
  It's a copy of a copyrighted publication that I put into lilypond to correct
mistakes, print off individual parts to make it less confusing for the
elementary school kids to read, and be able to put together midi recordings
for accompaniment and so they can hear how the melody of their part goes
based on pitch and rhythm. As such, I assume it wouldn't be the wisest idea
to just post the whole thing up as an attachment to a publicly available
list, but if snippets are OK, I'll do that. I could also write up equivalent
short samples to express any issues I'm trying to sort out if those would
help.
Thanks again,
Ed Sutton