Re: LilyPond 2.1.22 released

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.1.22 released
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:16:31 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:00:10 +0100 (CET) Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > From a user's point of view, a property is a property.
> >
> > Yes - that's exactly the view I want to go away, because I think it
> > breeds confusion over what Lily is doing, and as a result, it makes
> > it harder to understand how to influence the formatting process.
>
> Really?  Why do you think that confusion could arise?  Maybe I'm
> missing something which is obvious for you.

For me, it looks like they have different number of arguments:

  1+1 -- \set A.B = #C
  1   -- \unset A.B
  2+1 -- \override A.B #C = #D
  2   -- \revert A.B #C

It is easier to program if the degeneracy of names (i.e. commands with
different number and/or type of arguments) is as low as possible.

Grammatically, `overrideĀ“ and `revertĀ“ may not be best words, since actually the
second argument is overridden or reverted.

Greetings,

  Heikki Junes