chord labeling

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: chord labeling
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:07:54 -0700

  I know a chord can be labeled as Cm, but is there a way to label them for
harmonic analysis? I have only figured out how to get so far with stuff like:

<c e g>_\markup "i"

The last time I attempted such markings was on a cadential I 6/4 chord. I
found that using \column in a markup statement was about as far as I was
getting (which would still need work). In any case, a number of other needed
notations are beyond my ability to figure out with my current lilypond
knowledge. I usually glance at the chord names section of the manual, thus
remembering that it isn't discussed there; maybe I thought I found a way to
get what I want a while back in lilypond's manual.
  I don't expect lilypond to determine the analysis itself, but this would be
a nice addition to figured bass if it isn't currently possible.
  On that, is there a reason why '/' hasn't been supported in figured bass? I
thought that the figured bass engraver was basically just engraving markups.
Is is also interacting with the music for anything besides spacing? The only
differences I see in handling "/" versus the other accidental markings is
that it's meaning could not be processed without analyzing the bass note and
also possibly that the "/" tries to get processed by a programming language,
like "\" as an escape sequence.
  Is there somewhere besides the bugs section of the corresponding lilypond
page that explains such problems better? I didn't notice anything sticking
out at me within the source yet.
  I can't seem to get a handle on lilypond code yet; I haven't programmed in
too long and have too little time to make a lot of good sense of any source
file I have opened yet.
Thanks,
Ed Sutton