Re: chord labeling

From: José Luis Cruz
Subject: Re: chord labeling
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:09:43 +0100

What i used to do is to use the figured bass engraver, but with text,
so i must change the default font which only brings numbers by
another one with text:

% i.e.

%----------------

analysis = \figures {
\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \override #'font-name = #"cmr17"
\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \override #'font-magnification = #0.6

<"IV">2. <"·/·"> <"\flat VI">  <"II-">1 <"\flat II"> <"V">  <"I">
<_><"VII$^{\mbox{\small o}}$"> <"VI-"> <"I">}

%-------------------

You could then have both the harmony and the analysis over the music.
The syntax I've used is from an earlier 2.1.x version, so maybe you
must change it a bit. But get the idea... You can play with that...

You ask about automatic analysing... that is a very subjective
thing... And a human perception at the end. My opinion is that it
would only be possible to do it with very simple compositions, which
uses typical progressions and by using some kind of database of
structures. But at the moment it gets on complicated passages, or if
you have less typical progressions, modulations, or progressions which
gets harmonies from another modes... or just new harmonic solutions.
How is the computer supposed to interpret that? It's like if you ask
the word processor to explain a poem. Well, there are so many
possibilities, but only a few make sense, and are determined by the
context.. I think AI it's not such advanced by the moment :)

greetings,
joseluis

A 24/02/04 22:07:54