Re: LilyPond 2.1.30 released

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.1.30 released
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:13:50 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> > The goal is to replace the current lilypond.py script with directly
> > generated postscript and PDF output.  This is a cleaner approach
> > than the current keyhole manoeuvring, where the final PDF is put
> > together from a complex mix of PostScript and Latex, and information
> > is juggled between lilypond-bin, lilypond.py and Latex.  The big win
> > will be that we can provide a better mechanism for breaking pages.
>
> How will you handle arbitrary text strings too complex to be handled
> by lilypond itself (exotic scripts, mathematics, etc.)?

We'll leave the TeX output intact, but users will have to write their
own glue/titling code (or use lilypond-book).

In a far future, I hope that we can link Lily to Pango or Omega so
that we can "outsource" text typesetting. Unfortunately, Pango doesn't
do print. I'm not sure where Omega is standing, last time I looked,
development wasn't moving much.