Re: LilyPond 2.1.30 released

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.1.30 released
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:46:11 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > doesn't do print.  I'm not sure where Omega is standing, last time I
> > looked, development wasn't moving much.
>
> You want to send LaTeX code to a library and getting back small EPS
> files?  This is non-trivial due to the embedded fonts.  IMHO the

No, I want to send a string to a library, and get its dimensions back.

> A first step could be this: Emit all text strings as a large LaTeX
> document where the entries are put into \hboxes.  Then run LaTeX on
> this file, writing the box dimensions into the aux file.
>
> This would make two passes with LilyPond:
>
>   lilypond --generate-latex-data foo.ly > foo.tex
>   latex foo.tex
>   lilypond --use-latex-data foo.ly
>
> The --generate-latex-data option makes lilypond exit after parsing the
> input file (and emitting the latex data).
>
> I would like to see this anyway to have a chance to reliably select
> non-cmr fonts for text strings in LilyPond; if you code the lilypond
> part I'll provide the LaTeX part.

This approach seems rather arcane to me. However, with Scheme
functions, you can already achieve this: write the texts to a .tex
file, run latex, read back the dimensions, store them in a table, and
do

  \override Lyrics #'X-extent-callback  = #(lambda (grob)
     (lookup-latex-dimension the-dimension-table (ly:get-property grob 'text)))