Re: Slurs crossing a line break

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: Slurs crossing a line break
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:05:41 +0300 (EEST)

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:36:45 +0200 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > address@hidden writes:
> > >
> > > Would it be more beatiful, if the length of the slur were
> > > (approximately)
> > > doubled, and the slur were at the middle point (shown as `o´ in the
> > examples below):
> >

> > It's best to check some good hand-engraved editions to see what the
> > proper solution is.  I haven't seen what you suggest, but maybe I am
> > misunderstanding you.
>
> Probably. I would like to see one (possibly cut) slur between two notes
> (with a
> line break between), not two or more subsequent slurs between two
> notes.
> Ideologically, that is the only right solution, which might have been
> erronously
> done even in hand-engraved editions. Simply, think that does "a()()b"
> or
> "a()()()b" or any sense?

Looks like in hand-engraved music "a()()b" really does make sense. I found from
the net some beautifully engraved music in which that was used. So, I'll take
back my arguments. Hand-engraving is a (hand-)proven standard.

In Bach's Aria (con Variazioni):
  http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=9
I found that also fingerings my be tied: c2-"1(5)"
This means that c2 is first played with thumb and then, without lifting the key,
the fingering is changed to little finger.

Greetings,

  Heikki Junes