Piano Pedal performace across a PianoStaff

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Piano Pedal performace across a PianoStaff
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:02:13 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> A pedal-event is currently performed by the staff context within
> which it is declared.  As a piano's pedal tends to affect the entire
> output of the piano and not just one hand, it would be nice if
> pedal-events could be automatically performed across the staves in a
> PianoStaff.  My instinct was to use the following:
>
>       \context {
>           \VoiceContext
>           \remove "Piano_pedal_performer"
>       }
>       \context {
>           \PianoStaffContext
>           \consists "Piano_pedal_performer"
>       }
>
> but I can see that I was wrong.  What would be necessary to make
> something like this work?  I am willing to code it, but I would
> appreciate a push in the right direction.

It's probably the easiest to make a Piano_pedal_swallow_performer that
sits at the piano-staff level, and have that scoop up the events. Then
have Piano_pedal_performers at staff level. This is similar to
Repeat_engraver which cooperates with the Repeat_acknowledge_engraver.

Let me know if you have more questions!