Re: Piano Pedal performace across a PianoStaff

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Piano Pedal performace across a PianoStaff
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:26:19 -0700

On Tuesday April 6 2004 03:02, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > A pedal-event is currently performed by the staff context within
> > which it is declared.  As a piano's pedal tends to affect the entire
> > output of the piano and not just one hand, it would be nice if
> > pedal-events could be automatically performed across the staves in a
> > PianoStaff.  My instinct was to use the following:
> >
> >     \context {
> >         \VoiceContext
> >         \remove "Piano_pedal_performer"
> >     }
> >     \context {
> >         \PianoStaffContext
> >         \consists "Piano_pedal_performer"
> >     }
> >
> > but I can see that I was wrong.  What would be necessary to make
> > something like this work?  I am willing to code it, but I would
> > appreciate a push in the right direction.
>
> It's probably the easiest to make a Piano_pedal_swallow_performer that
> sits at the piano-staff level, and have that scoop up the events. Then
> have Piano_pedal_performers at staff level. This is similar to
> Repeat_engraver which cooperates with the Repeat_acknowledge_engraver.
>

> Let me know if you have more questions!

  I thought about this recently for both dynamic and pedal marks. I thought 4
tracks (RH, LH, dynamics, pedal) on one channel would distribute all the
changes. Either my midi knowledge is wrong or/and that couldn't work well
about how a mark would be handled if it applied to only one line. I don't
want to start hate mail and fired discussions, but better notational & midi
knowledge is something I can always use so . . .
Thanks again,
Ed Sutton