Re: python style questions (Re: abc2ly and beams)

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: python style questions (Re: abc2ly and beams)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:00:29 +0200

Nicolas Sceaux writes:

> According to Python Style Guide[1], 4 spaces per indentation level are
> prefered over tabs

Strange, I didn't know that.  I'm not very tight-assed about this, but
I feel it's asking for trouble when not using TABs, so I prefer those.
Mixing indentation widths (2, 3, 4 spaces and TABS) is certainly taboo
(for continuation lines it does not matter.

> Except the use of TABs, are there differences between lilypond's
> python coding standards and python.org's python stardards?

I don't know, we're trying to be GNU-ish, but we don't have anything
defined (yet :-).  lilypond-book is the latest thing we (fully
re-)wrote, so a quick look at that should give you a good impression.

Oh, there's something about gettext and strings, I think we try to use
double quotes for user strings, single quotes for code strings.

> A brief check shows that they are some mixed indentation style left in
> some python files. Is that the kind of update that I may do softly

Certainly, that's really broken.  In that department, fixes are always
most welcome.

Jan.