Re: improving the doc appearance

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: improving the doc appearance
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:11:45 -0700

On 1-Sep-04, at 6:13 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I ask the docmeister to do the following in the texinfo input files,
improving the appearance of the output if viewed with `info' (gee,
there are still dolts like me who do that :-)

Thanks for reminding me; I'd forgotten about the "info" docs.

  . Remove multiple spaces between words.  Things like

I've been doing this when I notice it, but I haven't been religiously
checking for it.  I'll do so now.

    appear as-is.  I suggest to have two spaces after a sentence
    ending (which makes the input file easier to edit with Emacs), but
    this isn't necessary.

It's proper English to have two spaces after a period, so that's what
I've been doing :) . Again, only when I notice it; I haven't grepped for
"\. [a-z,A-Z]", although that's something I may do in the future.

  . Remove all unnecessary indentation.  For example, don't do this:
      @example
        example
          blocks
        like this example
      @end example

I'll figure out an indentation style for examples and apply that to
everything.

These changes should be done by 3.0, but I still have a bit of new docs
to write (templates, merging from wiki, stuff from mailist), so I expect it'll
be a few days before I start doing serious effort on these things.