Re: Mutopia .ly files don't "compile" ?

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Re: Mutopia .ly files don't "compile" ?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:35:16 +0100

In message <address@hidden>
          Blunt Jackson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm just trying to get the hand of lilypond, & I thought I would grab some
> .ly files from mutopia to use as lessons. Unfortunately, of the first batch
> I downloaded, not one "compiles" under lilypond. They all report zillions
> of errors: unknown tags, unmatched braces, syntax errors of numerous sorts.
>
> Are the mutopia .ly files *really* all messed up, or do I need to do
> something special to process them? I can post logs & whatnot; but I thought
> maybe it's just something obvious and dumb that I am missing...

The files you download need to match the LilyPond version that you're using.
As others have indicated, the convert-ly program can be used to convert old
files to a more recent syntax. This is not a flawless process, however, and
the results in some cases can be unexpected.

If you want to find files on Mutopia that match the version of LilyPond you
have installed, you can use the 'Advanced Search' page to specify a
particular version (eg. 2.2).

Chris

--
Chris Sawer:   address@hidden    -    Mutopia team leader