Re: still a cue problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: still a cue problem
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:20:51 +0200

The shift of the rest is not due to the empty group but because
of the \voiceOne and \voiceTwo that are applied to the first and
second voice of the << {...} \\ {...} >> construct.
Among others, the \voiceOne macro does
\override MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position = #4

So, it's not only a matter of ignoring the empty group, it's
also a matter of applying different property settings to another
Voice. However, if you are happy with the default centered rest
position also in the parts with cue notes, then you could do
<< {\revert MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position R1 } \\
   {possible cue notes }>>

   /Mats

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I'm quite successfully using \quote, and in parts it works fine.
There is still a problem with full scores.

Assume that the file `trumpet.ily' is included both by `trumpet.ly'
(to create the trumpet part) and `score.ly' (to create the full
score).  To produce a cue I have this code in trumpet.ily:

  << { R1                      } \\
     { \small \quote "flute" 1 } >>

This works fine in trumpet.ly since the both the first and the second
block contains data.  In `score.ly', only the upper block is used
because \quote intentionally expands to nothing by saying

   \set Score.quotedEventTypes = #'()

at the top of `score.ly'.  Consequently, the code is equivalent to

  << { R1 } \\
     {    } >>

As you can see, the second group is empty.  Lilypond accepts that, but
it doesn't completely ignore the empty group: It shifts the whole rest
up.  To get correctly positioned whole rests I currently have to do
this:

  \tag #'score { R1 }
  \tag #'trumpet << { R1                      } \\
                    { \small \quote "flute" 1 } >>

(and applying the tags accordingly), but this is really ugly IMHO and
a lot of additional work.

Is it possible to make lilypond really ignore an empty group, without
any side effects?  Perhaps \quote can expand to an object which says
`Please ignore me completely'.  Or am I missing something?

    Werner

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems