Re: still a cue problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: still a cue problem
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:48:48 +0200 (CEST)

> The shift of the rest is not due to the empty group but because
> of the \voiceOne and \voiceTwo that are applied to the first and
> second voice of the << {...} \\ {...} >> construct.
> Among others, the \voiceOne macro does
> \override MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position = #4

Thanks for the explanation.

> So, it's not only a matter of ignoring the empty group, it's also a
> matter of applying different property settings to another Voice.
> However, if you are happy with the default centered rest position
> also in the parts with cue notes, then you could do
> << {\revert MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position R1 } \\
>     {possible cue notes }>>

Unfortunately, this is not acceptable.  I still wonder whether it is
possible to make

  << { ... } \\ { } >>

equivalent to

  { ... }

this is, to prevent creation of \voiceOne and \voiceTwo at all.  I can
imagine that this is handled as a special exception to the normal
parsing rules -- the assumption is of course that an empty group
within << >> isn't used for other purposes.

On the other hand, making an empty \quote expand to a special Grob
which simply resets the vertical rest positions of the other voice(s)
to the default is probably better from a syntactical point of view.

    Werner