Re: lyrics problems: Bar_engraver, ß (SS) , ü, hyphens

From: Russ Ross
Subject: Re: lyrics problems: Bar_engraver, ß (SS) , ü, hyphens
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:19:35 +0100

> > Finally, hyphens within words are not always displaying properly.
> > Where before they would be centered between two syllables, now they
> > sometimes stick to the second syllable.
>
> I don't think I have seen this problem. Could you find an example?

Certainly; here's a snippet from a recitative that shows the problem:

\version "2.3.18"

altoNotes = \relative c'' {
  a8 d, c' b b b r fis |
  dis dis dis e fis r r b, |
}

altoLyrics = \lyricmode {
  J\"un -- ger t\"o -- richt strei -- ten, daß
  die -- ses from -- me Weib mit
}

\score {
  \simultaneous {
    \context Staff = altoStaff
    \context Voice = altoVoice {
      \autoBeamOff
      \clef treble
      \key b \minor
      \altoNotes
    }
    \lyricsto altoVoice \new Lyrics \altoLyrics
  }
  \paper {}
}

In this example "Jün -- ger" and "tö -- richt" both show the problem,
rendering as something like "Jün  -ger" and "tö  -richt" respectively.
 If you comment out the second measure, the problem is corrected: as
the first measure expands the hyphens move to the center.

By coincidence, the example also happens to include both a 'ß' and two
'ü's that render incorrectly, which you indicated was a known issue
with character encodings.

Thanks,

Russ