btw, articulation grouping

From: Giancarlo Niccolai
Subject: btw, articulation grouping
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:24:39 +0100

Hello again,
I am currently writing the guitar parts (two) for "Zombie" both as an exercise
to get confident with lilypond and to test some features. (Oh, also because I
play it with a band ;-)

Now, you know that elguit music has TONS of stopped notes; I have found an
article dating 4/2004 in this ML saying that grouping articulation was not
needed (just cut & paste/search & replace "-+"), but in rock songs with power
chords it would be quite useful. In example, here is a riff from zombie:

powerMiBeat = \relative do {
}
(btw, mi=e, si=b).

Ok, now, the distorted guitar is playing all the time a set of riffs like
this, but sometimes stopped, other not: it would be quite useful to have
things like:

  \powerMiBeat
  \powerDoBeat
  \powerSolBeat
  \powerFadBeat

  {
     \powerMiBeat
     \powerDoBeat
     \powerSolBeat
     \powerFadBeat
  }\stopped

Ok, I know that I may just copy that 4 riffs and make all the notes in them
stopped, and then do:

  \powerMiBeat
  \powerDoBeat
  \powerSolBeat
  \powerFadBeat

  \powerMiStoppedBeat
  \powerDoStoppedBeat
  \powerSolStoppedBeat
  \powerFadStoppedBeat

but it feels cumbersome.

Also, classic guitar music has often whole staccato phrases, so as there is a
Tremolo grouping, a stopped and a staccato grouping (at least) would be
useful.

Opinions?

Bests,
Giancarlo Niccolai.