Re: Example massacre

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Example massacre
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:52:57 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Of course, viewing these examples as a part of the documentation,
> means additional support work. One possible way out would be to
> actually integrate all the useful examples into the main manual,
> but also collect all "interesting" examples from the manual into
> a "Collection of Examples" document, which has links back to the
> corresponding section in the notation manual.
>
> Regarding Bret's proposal for a single huge contrived example showing
> lots of strange feature, I don't think it's that useful, since the
> code of that example will be completely incomprehensible, for those
> who want to see how a particular combination of features is done, for
> example, even if each separate feature has an example in the manual.

The point of Bret's proposal is not showing interesting example ly
code, but rather creating a visual index to the manual. I think it is
a good idea, and actually, I've specifically created the "balloon
help" feature specifically for this. Is there anyone willing to create
a sketch (on paper is fine) of such a monster example?

So far, the arguments in favor of the "tip & trick" page have
basically been "information is hard to find in the manual," which IMO
suggests that we should improve the way how information can be looked
up.