Searching help [was Example massacre]

From: Némo
Subject: Searching help [was Example massacre]
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:37:52 +0100

Luise Marion Frenkel wrote:
I am an sporadic Lilypond user, who tries to keep up to date with the syntax changes reading the user and devel lists. I have to type many different sorts of music, and usually no template fits me well. I find it very difficult to find the answers for my questions in the manual. When the Tips and Tricks were more complete, I just had to roll that page down until I found what I needed. Most tricks I needed were perfectly documented there, and I easily recognized what I needed by the pictures. Now I have to try to remember what picture (that is lilypond image) that once I saw in the manual is what I need and where it could be and start browsing the One-Page manual. Google searching is not practical for those who are not native-english speeker because often they do not know what the right term is. Images have a universal meenig and spare us of looking the glossary. And for those who do not do "standard" scores, but weird arrangements which are fitting for their practice, it is not always necessary to use the RIGHT thing, but something which does the job.

I am still looking at the Tips and Tricks of former Lilypond branches, which are more complete, and updating the code. I do not think that the Tips & Tricks should be a compillation of all lilypond snipets or examples in the manual for that would again be to much. I just liked very much the old Tips and Tricks.

I think that even advanced Lilypond users need to look into the manual as soon as they do something different. The tutorial must focus on novice users, but the manual has to be also fit for the frequent users.

I read the announcment projects for 2.5, but why is there only one thread speaking about a forum ?
As a Gentoo user, I like a lot the idear of a forum.
Not for the anounce or the devel things, but for users.
Did you saw the number of spam on the mailing list archive ?
On a forum you can folow a discution, make realy precise search, put pictures, format the answer with [quote] and [cite],have diffrent forum for diffrent purpose (output, lirycs, ancient notation, jazz,...) or diffrent languages.

The trick is to have a strict synthax, for exemple,

[lily version] my problem (solved) / ()
Or
[general group] my problem (solved) / ()

The (solved) is realy cool when looking for a quick search. Whe decided, on the gentoo french forum to put it when the problem is solved and nothing when non-solved (it's better for searching) but you say unsolved in english so there's no problem.

For me it's a realy efficient tool.
Maybee you prefre wiki, maybee both are complémentary.
But lily need something like that.

It was just an idear for making lilypond easer to use.

Olivier.

--
Olivier Guéry <address@hidden>