Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 25, Issue 2

From: Bret Whissel
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 25, Issue 2
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:16:39 -0500

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Of course, if you know what you're looking for -like Mats, I suppose-
> then the tips & tricks collection is an easy document. However, I
> think we need to focus on novice users which are not sure what they
> are looking for exactly. Also, doesn't a broken up document (like the
> manual) work better with Google searching?

One of the hardcopy documents packaged with Finale was a double-page
musical example, contrived to employ as many common (and some un-common)
constructions as could usefully fit in the space.  Each construction was
labeled so that one could look up the appropriate reference in the
documentation.  Perhaps an equivalent image-mapped example could be
built for lilypond, with links to the appropriate manual location or
code.

I'm sure the building of such an example would exercise more perverse
corners of code and notation than most of us would typically create, and
could act as part of a good regression test as well.

The Tips & Tricks examples already provide most of this functionality,
though sufficient context is sometimes lacking.  A single contrived
example provides more context, and it would be less ad hoc.  (Much
harder to implement, though, than a loosely-associated munge of
collected examples.