Re: Dashed slur proposal

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Dashed slur proposal
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:21:04 +0100

Bertalan Fodor writes:

> I've found that dashed slurs are quite ugly. That's because
> output-ps.scm sets the dash length to the property Slur.dashed, but
> the gap between dashes is set to 10*slur.thickness, that is not
> good. I've found that changing output.scm's

> So it is obvious there should be a property called gap length or
> gap-factor to be able to set either:

Yes.  What we'd need is a dash-fraction and dash-period property
instead, see text-spanner.

However, for dashed/dotted slurs to be really nice, the current
builtin postscript dashing is too simplistic.  The path length of the
slur (and text-spanner) should be taken into account to make sure that
begin and end are solid, ie, the slur (or line-) ending must never be
part of a gap.

> Now, the thing I do not know is how to set up an other property.

What is it exactly that you need to know.  What do you miss when
looking at the places where a property (say dashed) is used?

Jan.