Wrapping TTF files ?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Wrapping TTF files ?
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:54:04 +0100

Hi Werner,

while writing a UTF8 demo, I found out that I have only really tested
cyrillic support of LilyPond. Cyrillic is included in my
system-installed NC Schoolbook . For other typography (in particular:
japanese), I only have TTF files, which can't go into PS directly.

What's the best course of action? I've seen Perl's
PostScript::Fonts::TTtoType42. This is not an option, since spawning
Perl is too expensive, and depending on TTtoType42 is a hassle.  Isn't
there support in Freetype for writing font files?

Come to think of it: why isn't there a separate library for reading
and writing font files? Freetype and Fontforge could share that
library.