Re: chroot/setuid for lilypond (for LSR)

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: chroot/setuid for lilypond (for LSR)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:56:38 -0500

Sebastiano Vigna <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think this is a satisfactory solution for people wanting to run lily
> on a server, with greater freedom than that provided by safe mode.

I agree - privilege limitations are already well covered and enforced
by the kernel.  Better to reuse that well-tested code than reimplement
it.

> +  if (change_root) {
> +    if (chroot(change_root)) {

I'd suggest:
if (change_root) {
  if (chdir(change_root) || chroot(".")) {

Otherwise, you might use -c alone and be misled into thinking you're
safer than you really are.  This also makes -d unnecessary.

paul