Re: easier LilyPond tutorial?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: easier LilyPond tutorial?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:01:34 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes

[please forward to appropriate editor development lists]

Hi there!

I have a question for the lily4jEdit developers.

Yesterday Jan & I discussed how we could lower the barrier to start
using LilyPond. One the things we discussed was a better way to start
using LilyPond. Right now, this involves a newbie user

* having to read the tutorial

* learning the concept of text-editor, and learning to use it.

* learning the concept of command-line, and learning to use it.

* learning about debug-edit-compile

For a typical mac/windows user this is a rough introduction.  We were
wondering whether it was possible to provide something similar to the
Emacs tutorial, where a user is really taken by the hand learning
LilyPond.

Am I unusual? I must admit I found the tutorial to be not much help, and I have no trouble with a text-editor or the command line, but I would find your approach of very little help.

As for the emacs tutorial, I've *never* got to grips with emacs, and one of the reasons is that I find the entire emacs help system horribly frustrating to use. That presumably includes the tutorial (I guess I found it, and just couldn't get on with it).

I've discussed my ideas with Graham (and he thinks I'll be like everyone else and not get round to doing it ...) but I'm trying to write a tutorial that would suit me. The big problem I kept falling over when I was getting started was that there was nothing about "how to use lily". Loads of info (such as the manual) about "this is how you do this" and "that", but it was far too low-level.

Loads of information about how you use all the little bits, and nothing about how you put it all together to actually do something useful...

I've got hold of a piece that's copyright 1927 by Schubert, so I'm pretty confident it's out of copyright :-) What I intend to do is to include this as an appendix, but the tutorial will basically say "here's a working LP piece, this is how and why we've done it this way".

As far as I'm concerned, using the text editor is like using a word processor - it's a basic that we should be able to assume the user can do! Command line, less so, but it shouldn't be that difficult to give basic instructions. Again, to me, that's basic computer literacy, but yes I understand it being beyond doze people.

At the end of the day, the best way to learn is to have a guru handy nearby. Absent that, I personally find that worked examples are best. And one thing that lily lacks is a decent supply of full-blown examples (as opposed to fragments, which are there a-plenty).

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.