Re: packed option

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: packed option
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:55:39 -0500

    JR> may I suggest to add a 'packed' option to lilypond-book?  This could
    JR> help enhancing some of the ancient notation examples in the
    JR> documentation.

Is this intended to fix some of the problems with parts that use
larger note values as the fundamental "beat"?  Or is it to fix the
problem of Petrucci transcriptions looking wierd because modern
spacing algorithms leave more space between larger note values and
Petrucci didn't?  Or some other problem?

If it's either of the above, I'm in favor.  I've been doing some
transcriptions from Odhecaton A, and normally I think Lily's output
looks much better than whatever I transcribed from, but Petrucci
really does beat Lily 2.0 at his own game.  See
<http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/pieces/288.html> for an
example.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139