Re: packed option

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: packed option
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:29:39 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Laura Conrad wrote:

"JR" == Juergen Reuter <address@hidden> writes:

   JR> may I suggest to add a 'packed' option to lilypond-book?  This could
   JR> help enhancing some of the ancient notation examples in the
   JR> documentation.

Is this intended to fix some of the problems with parts that use
larger note values as the fundamental "beat"?

No.  Which problems in particular are you thinking of?

Or is it to fix the
problem of Petrucci transcriptions looking wierd because modern
spacing algorithms leave more space between larger note values and
Petrucci didn't?

Right. But please note, that the only new thing is that I just added the "packed" option to lilypond-book. The "packed" variable has been part of lily almost as long as the "raggedright" variable and is used analogously (actually, raggedright=##t originally also packed notes in early lily 1.x, but very soon was factored out into a separate variable).

 Or some other problem?

If it's either of the above, I'm in favor.  I've been doing some
transcriptions from Odhecaton A, and normally I think Lily's output
looks much better than whatever I transcribed from, but Petrucci
really does beat Lily 2.0 at his own game.  See
<http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/pieces/288.html> for an
example.

Indeed, you may want trying to set the packed variable to ##t, but I fear that you then get something that is too heavily packed.

Greetings,
J�rgen