Re: Runtime errors on OpenBSD

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Runtime errors on OpenBSD
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:16:59 +0100

The problem seems to be that you have not managed to install
ec-fonts-mftraced correctly. If you build them from the source
package, the resulting files will be installed in subdirectories
of /usr/share/texmf/, i.e. the intention is that they are added in
the standard teTeX installation directory. If you have installed
teTeX somewhere else, you have to modify the makefile correspondingly.
Also, don't forget to run 'texhash' (or equivalently 'mktexlsr') after
you have installed the font files.

If ec-fonts-mftraced is installed correctly, the command
kpsewhich ecb12.pfa
should return the full path to the file ecb12.pfa

You didn't say what version of teTeX you have installed. As far as I can
see, the ec-fonts-mftraced installation is not compatible with the
directory structure changes in teTeX 3.0, so if you have teTeX 3.0, you
have to do the following steps:
cd /usr/share/texmf/  (or wherever your teTeX installation is)
mkdir fonts/map/
cd fonts/map
ln -s ../../dvips/ec-fonts-mftraced
texhash

   /Mats

David Jedlinsky wrote:
Apparently, I'm not quite there yet.  Using lilypond 2.4.5 works, but
the output text is jagged bitmaps, not smooth Postscript fonts.  The
feta fonts are fine; it's just lyrics that are jagged.

Using the various tricks (dvips -Ppdf -u+lilypond.map
-u+ec-mftrace.map) don't change the output, except that in some cases
ps2pdf fails with "Error: /undefinedfilename in (test)".

The bitmap font is most likely due to this:

dvips: Font ecbx12 at 17336 not found; scaling 600 instead.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag
1+3672/8000 --dpi 11672 ecrb10
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=dpdfezzz;
mag:=1+3672/8000; nonstopmode; input ecrb10
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
! Enormous number has been reduced.
<*> \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=1+3672/8000
                                     ; nonstopmode; input ecrb10
? ! Emergency stop.
<*> \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=1+3672/8000
                                     ; nonstopmode; input ecrb10

I've found references to this sort of thing in the archives, but no
definitive answer to how to fix it.  Any ideas of what I failed to
install?

ec-fonts-mftraced takes *forever* to run.  Is this normal?  Or should
I have installed potrace, because it's better than autotrace in some
way?

Thanks.

-Dave Jedlinsky

        Mats Bengtsson