Re: Bug or Feature?: Lyrics have no durations

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Bug or Feature?: Lyrics have no durations
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 20:05:25 -0700

On 8-May-05, at 2:23 AM, Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2005 10:17:56 +0200 Erik Sandberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
There is a difference between \addlyrics and \lyricmode. \addlyrics or
\lyricsto
 ignore all durations and aligns syllables to notes, if you just use
\lyricmode
lily will use the durations you typed.

This distiction is now clear to me when you said it. But I could not find it explicitly in the manual. Therefore the chapter naming in 7.3.1 and 7.3.2 should
be changed to a more descriptive one.

I'd rather not mess with the titles... at least, I don't think we should specify
\addlyric and \lyricmode in the titles.

I've added this paragraph to 7.3.2.  Does it look good?
---
There is a difference between @code{\addlyrics} and
@code{\lyricmode}.  @code{\addlyrics} and @code {\lyricsto}
ignore all durations and aligns syllables to notes; @code{\lyricmode}
uses the durations specified.
---

I guess this part of the docs (bottom of 7.3.1) is false? Should I delete it entirely,
or just modify it in some way?
----
The \addlyrics command is actually just a convienient way to write a more complicated LilyPond structure that sets up the lyrics. You should use \addlyrics unless you need to do fancy things, in which case you should investigate \lyricsto or \lyricmode.

{ MUSIC }
\addlyrics { LYRICS }
is the same as

\context Voice = blah { music }