Re: mensural notation

From: Pal Benko
Subject: Re: mensural notation
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 12:45:05 +0200

Hi Jürgen,

What I do not understand, if you want neo-mensural noteheads, why not just
doing "\override Voice.NoteHead #'style = #'neomensural"?

As far as I can see, the main difference between neomensural and mensural
notehead are (besides the different parameters) that mensural noteheads have
diamond shape at their centerline, while neomensural heads have it at the
outer boundary, and I just need this.  Note that with my patch the mensural
and neomensural noteheads still look different.
My main point is to have bigger noteheads, almost two linespaces high;
but it should not be so big that a notehead between two stafflines have
those lines visible in the interior hole.

Ah, ok.  But I would not like to completely drop the current mensural
shapes, since I have seen quite some printed ancient examples (mostly
in [1]) with noteheads very similar to the current mensural shapes.

Let me clarify me a bit: my core problem with the current official ancient
noteheads is that they are way smaller than those I've seen in manuscipts and
Petrucci prints.  First I wanted to have larger mensural noteheads, and then
I saw the problem written above, i.e. for a note on a staff-line the line did
not cross the left and right corners of the notehead (and if I interpreted
the comments correctly, that is a problem for you as well).  I've tried to
modify the description, but didn't succeed; and then I found out that
neomensural heads can be parametrised so that I get what I want.

I have seen such tiny noteheads in modern print (Wolf, Crevel's edition of
Obrecht's Missa Maria zart), but these are not facsimiles.  I'll check MGG.

But maybe you can convince me that your shapes are
the more authentic or the more beautiful ones...

I can make scans of the facsimiles I have.  Perhaps it would be good anyway
(e.g. Lilypond doesn't have Gamma clef).

So, maybe for the time being, we should just add a
new notehead style?  Do you have any idea for a naming convention (for the
clefs, we e.g. have mensural and petrucci style)?

My style is quite close (a little bit bigger) to that of Petrucci;
if you think it's worth the trouble, I'll scan some Petrucci, magnify it,
take exact measurements and then we can call the style in the patch
Petrucci-style.