Re: mensural notation

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: mensural notation
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:28:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Pal Benko wrote:

Hi Jürgen,

What I do not understand, if you want neo-mensural noteheads, why not just
doing "\override Voice.NoteHead #'style = #'neomensural"?

As far as I can see, the main difference between neomensural and mensural
notehead are (besides the different parameters) that mensural noteheads have
diamond shape at their centerline, while neomensural heads have it at the
outer boundary, and I just need this.  Note that with my patch the mensural
and neomensural noteheads still look different.
My main point is to have bigger noteheads, almost two linespaces high;
but it should not be so big that a notehead between two stafflines have
those lines visible in the interior hole.

Ah, ok. But I would not like to completely drop the current mensural shapes, since I have seen quite some printed ancient examples (mostly in [1]) with noteheads very similar to the current mensural shapes. But maybe you can convince me that your shapes are the more authentic or the more beautiful ones... So, maybe for the time being, we should just add a new notehead style? Do you have any idea for a naming convention (for the clefs, we e.g. have mensural and petrucci style)?

Greetings,
Juergen

[1] F. Blume (Ed.): Die Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart (MGG).